I am a very sceptical/pessimistic/mostly unhappy person, so it's no surprise valentines day isn't my most loved day of the year, especially as I have some unconventional views about love. I do believe that valentines day is just a commercial creation designed to bring profit to big companies, however, my grinch heart has started to come to the realisation it may be more than just that. Of course, if you're in a relationship it's a day of showing love and affection (although I think you should do that throughout the year and not just on a dedicated day). However, if you're single, I think we should take valentines day as an opportunity to take care of yourself, it should be taken as a day of artificial self-care and love. Hence, Galentine's day (not gender exclusive, just a general, punny label). Also, well aware Galentine's day stems from spending the day with your friends but like, sometimes you just don't want to do that so these suggestions have a mixture of both.
So if you're a single pringle like oneself (or even if you're not so single), here are a few simple tips/suggestions for what you could do on February 14th to show yourself some love! For best results, mix a few of them together. Or the majority of them.
- Buy yourself some flowers - If you're a flower fan but hardly ever buy any, treat yourself to some pretty ones to cheer yourself up
- Dance around the house to some old bomb tunes to remind yourself you're fab - You look good all the time anyway, so what's to say you won't look good dancing around the house in your PJ's to Dilemma by Kelly Rowland/Nelly?
- Face, film, fast food - Grab your favourite face mask, pop on a decent film and buy yourself a valentine's day pizza from Domino's (they will probably have a deal on). A girls night in, either alone or with your fellow singleton's
- Throw a Galentine's day party - Drinks, food and some class music for the fellow single people/those with partners out of town. The perfect way to get drunk and not feel lonely this valentine's day
- Online shopping - Right, if you were in a relationship you'd have to spend money on a present anyway so you might as well just buy yourself one. That new dress you were after or that brand new makeup product, if someone else isn't going to treat you, treat yourself
- Have a bath - A chill bath. A Lush bath bomb, candle and hot chocolate type of bath. A hair mask that you forget to do normally during the week bath. An eating mac n cheese and putting rose petals in the bath for yourself sort of bath. You get what I mean
- Take the day off - By this I mean stop doing work or stop forgetting about your troubles for a day and just chill, sometimes you need a day away from social media and the real world just to keep yourself grounded
- Spa day - Very helpful for the tip above, and if you can find a fellow single friend that wants to go along even better! Valentine's day couple specials make it a whole lot cheaper
- The little things - Grab yourself that full fat, high-calorie doughnut before work. Have a glass of wine with your lunch. Take a taxi instead of driving so you can go for a drink after work. The little things may help you the most
- Mediate or masturbate - Relax yourself. Try meditating or masturbating. That's all I have to say about that one
- Go on a first date or have a booty call - Unless you want to have sex on a first date (who cares) a booty call is ideal for spending the night getting intimate. If not, just go on a regular first date with someone. All those couples in the restaurant having dinner might make you feel a little closer (also, valentine's day special offers!)
- Tick something off your bucket list or make one (then tick something off)- Whilst everyone else is with their significant other, you could be going to that chocolate museum (is that a thing?) you've always wanted to go to or look around that contemporary art gallery everyone else thinks is weird. What better time than to tick off your bucket list?
- Get drunk and cry - May not sound like the best suggestion but sometimes crying makes everything better. Drink a bottle of wine, eat a whole tub of ice cream, pop on some sad songs and have a cry about how single you are
- Go about your normal day and wait for February 15th- Discounted chocolate. Do I have to say anymore?
Whatever you are doing this valentine's day, make sure you have a bomb time. You deserve it!